Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Simple pillow cover tutorial



Bored and feeling unproductive, I took an hour tonight to make a cover for pillow form that was well, naked. I am going to try to do a super quick tutorial so you can make one yourself if you wish! My friend Rebecca at Painting the Roses White asked me long ago if I was going to do a tutorial after I posted this pretty little cover last summer. So, it's a little late, but here is a mini tutorial!

Supplies:
sewing machine
1 yard of fabric (I did not use it all for this size)
straight pins
measure tape or quilters ruler
Rotary cutter (or scissors)
Self healing cutting mat (not necessary is not using rotary cutter)


The pillow form I had was a 16x16" so here is how I measured and cut the fabric! The same principles apply regardless of the form size.

1) My form was 16"x16" So for the FRONT of the pillow cover, add 1" for seam allowance around all sides. Cut your fabric to 17"x17". Again, this will be the FRONT of the pillow.



2) For the back side measurement, you are going to add 4" to the WIDTH of the front size. This new measurement for the BACK now becomes 17"(h)x 21"(w). This additional 4" is for the extra fabric you need to make an envelope fold to slip the pillow form into.

3) Next, cut your BACK piece {measuring 17"(h)x 21'(w)} exactly in half to make the two pieces that will 'flap', making the opening slit for the pillow. So, I cut my back fabric at 10 1/2" at the center point of the fabric.

4) Now, take the front piece and place it PATTERN SIDE facing up at you. Then, place the two half pieces pattern facing down on top of that. They will overlap in the center, making the opening for your pillow form. Ultimately, the pretty pattern sides are touching now. Make sure your edges line up quite well.

5) Once you check that the edges on all four sides match up, take one of the BACK pieces and iron the inside edge (in the middle of the pillow) at 1/4" and then over again on itself again. Press press press! Then pin the fold before sewing with a simple straight stitch to secure. Repeat this on the other BACK piece.



6) Now you place the back pieces pretty side down on top of the front piece (that is pretty side up) and pin all around the edges (see my picture below-this is the overlapping flap the pillow goes in)



7) Now sew with a straight stitch at 1/4' all the way around the pillow! I cut the corners off (without cutting the threads!) to make for a nice crisp corner. Turned her right side out and stuffed my pillow form inside!

Oh man, I just reread that and I DO NOT claim to be a good tutorial-ist! SO terrible. If you have any questions, lemme know. In retrospect, next time I am going to add an inch to the measurements to make the cover a bit more loose. This one was too tight for my liking. I like it to look more relaxed. But it looks great on my guest bed in the Dolly Room!

Love and Light,

9 comments:

Maria February 1, 2011 at 3:52 AM  

Your pillow is so pretty!
Love it's makeover!
Isn't it amazing how a little fabric can go a long way to changing the look of a whole room!?!
*gettin' ready for more snow!

~Maria

MiniBinoy February 1, 2011 at 9:23 AM  

Hello Becky,i just stumbled upon ur blog tonight while going thru Jojeana's "secret garden cottage"! ur pillow looks very pretty !!i too hv a passion for pillows ..thanks a lot for the tutorial ..it is very easy to follow as well!!

Rosie February 1, 2011 at 8:14 PM  

Your "Dolly" room is shaping up to be quite a little treasure. I LOVE the contrast of your VERY pretty bed...perfect pillow!
Oh my ,YES, I would love to do a little tea time...am getting ready for a little knee procedure, so will call when I have a few moments...in the mean time...KEEP SEWING...I love what your creating...xo R

Rosie February 1, 2011 at 8:15 PM  

Your "Dolly" room is shaping up to be quite a little treasure. I LOVE the contrast of your VERY pretty bed...perfect pillow!
Oh my ,YES, I would love to do a little tea time...am getting ready for a little knee procedure, so will call when I have a few moments...in the mean time...KEEP SEWING...I love what your creating...xo R

Maillardville Manor February 1, 2011 at 10:23 PM  

That's puts my tutorial to shame :)
Great job and a very pretty pillow.
Lots of Love
Ashli

Jenn February 1, 2011 at 10:39 PM  

Oooohh! You need to teach me how to sew! The pillow looks great and that room is going to be so beautiful. Can't wait to see it!

Jessica February 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM  

I have two naked pillows that need some covers! Thanks for the tutorial, I just might try this. I love your fabric.

I have a contest going on my blog...check it out!

Allison Shops February 21, 2011 at 7:58 PM  

Very pretty fabric. I can sew a straight line, but not good at piping. :(
Dropping by from How To's Day. Hope you'll come see the informal picture wall How To I did for DD2.

Allison
Atticmag

Meghan February 23, 2011 at 1:11 AM  

Thank you! This is just what I needed: a simple tutorial. I'm a beginning sewer and though I'm short on skill I'm long on inspiration. I'm definitely going to try this.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and please feel free to comment :) I love comments :)