Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pottery Barn Inspired Tie Shade

For the past year I have been meaning to find a window treatment for our kitchen door. Love the window for light ofcourse, but it needed something for some privacy and to keep the weather extremes outside. I contemplated a custom roman shade, DIY'ing a roman shade, simple cafe curtains...and then I stumbled upon this! A Pottery Barn inspired curtains that Cozy. Cottage. Cute. made a lovely tutorial for.
So late last night, I had the bug to create (why does it always strike at 1230 am?) So there I was, reading planning and Mr C says to me "why don't you do a practice one first?" Huh? Practice? Me? So, I took his advice and did just that...it was quite easy and I even LOVE my practice one! I used an old bedsheet (Thanks Rosie-kins!) and some seam binding tape I had kickin around. Here is a craptastic iPhone picture of the finished practice shade:



I think I will make the top portion shorter on the real one. I did not take quite the care I will on my real shade. My stitches will be much straighter I promise ;) I have lovely Linen fabric from Tonic Living that I plan to use and matching twill tape to use as the ties. Do you think this matural linen will look ok? I am smitten with white, but I can always make another one later in a pretty white linen. Love that the total cost of this will be under $15.oo! Ofcourse, the practice one cost me $0.00! What do you think? Besides the fact that I need a nice camera to take pics with?
Have a lovely day all! Be well and create your day :)

3 comments:

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. November 16, 2010 at 2:36 PM  

Hi there!!! Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me such nice comments. :)

I love linen fabric and think it will look really nice, especially with the light shining through. I would have to agree about making the top half of the shade a bit shorter since the top of your shade will be at the top of your window (as opposed to if you mounted it above a window on a wall).

The answer to your question is, when you sew the ties into the shade, you will be left with open, pressed seams at the back. To tell you the truth, it kind of bugs me to leave it that way. I've been meaning to go back and try sewing them down but I've been too lazy. Although I'm not sure how that would look, either!?!?

Your trial run looks really good and good luck on the next one! Let me know how it turns out. :)

Jenn November 16, 2010 at 9:05 PM  

So cute!! I love linen and I think they will look fabulous! And, yes, I think the top should be a little shorter. Wish I could sew...especially when I see cute stuff like this!

Apsey January 29, 2014 at 6:58 PM  

It's awsome. I clicked on this photo because I wanted to BUY it!! Major props.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and please feel free to comment :) I love comments :)